232 Hillandale

Life and living at my designated postal address

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Charlotte Museum Volunteering


I had my first afternoon of volunteering at the Charlotte Museum of History today. John Noblitt is the head curator for the museum and I am working with him on various tasks for exhibits and such. This first outing entailed installed two benches custom built for the fire pit area outside of the kitchen at the Hezekiah Alexander house. In the process of digging the holes for the supports, we found an old culvert - after we broke it of course. John hurried off to get the repair items and I continued digging. I found a handful of old porcelain shards. Three of them married up to form the edge of a plate.

When John returned, he repaired the culvert and we finished setting the benches. We then moved the stepping stone out from the kitchen door to prevent anymore rot to the sill plate in the entry way. After we were done, we took the shards up to the museum where John is going to turn them in to collections to see if they are of any interest. If I can get a picture of them, I will post.

It was a great way to spend the afternoon. I met some new people and got "hand-on" in Charlotte history. The museum is bursting with projects like this that they simply don't have the resources to address. I was happy to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home